.....Two years after Brazil was discovered, the navigator Andre Goncalves who was already named Rio de Janeiro, discovered in January 6th in 1502 the Big Island (Ilha Grande). Ilha Grande belongs to the Tamayo’s (natives) nation. In Tupi language, is IPAUM GUACU, which means Big (Iguacu) Island (Ipaum). The natives were living in the island. They had amazing abilities to hunt even under the water. The Island was the favorite place for Portuguese, Holandese, Spanish’s and French’s. Ilha Grande has had historical importance, registration outstanding piracy events, between the centuries XVI and XIX.
From 1725 and 1764, started the colonization
in Ilha Grande, first
with the sugar cane plantation after with coffee between 1722
1890. It was exported to Europe. In 1803 the Island had the
juridical village named: THE FORA FREGUESIA DE SANTANA.
Besides Sugar Cane and Coffee, it was also a smuggling of slaves until 1888, when Isabel Princess signed a law, becoming all the slaves free. Just after the proclamation of the republic in 1891, two others district was developed: Abrãao and Sitio Forte, nowadays
....Towards the middle of the XIX century,
Peter II’s Empire had visited
Ilha Grande and was fascinated of its beauty. Peter II’s spent
days at Hollanders Farm, and gave the catholic Manuel Caetano
Lima money to build the chapel that was being constructed
Sebastião church). In 1884 the Crown decides to buy the Hollander
and Dois Rios Farm. In Hollander Farm was built Lazaretto (a
of Hospital), was required to take care of the immigrants and
leprous. This place was required to leave there the navigators
cholera and other diseases from the boats. During 28 years
hospital took care more than 4000 boats.
....After the proclamation of the republic,
the Lazaretto suffered lots of
modification. One of them was the construction of the aqueduct
which had a capability to transportate 1000 liters of water
Today is one of the most important monuments of the Island
ruins can be visited. In 1903, the penal colony was settled officially in Dois Rios. In 1940 the Lazaretto in Dois Rios was transformed into the Candido Mendes prison. The hospital that also took the name of Candido Mendes worked till 1954 and was demolished by
of the State Governor Carlos Lacerda. The aqueduct was the only work that remained. The prison worked till 1994. Until this moment, the island was not able to receive tourist and for this reason Abrãao Village stills virgin in lots of activities and it grows fastly. The scarce of massive human presence during all these years was the reason for its intact preservation, making this place a true paradise in the world.
THE FISHING INDUSTRY
....The fishing was the activity that employed
most of the Island’s
population. In 1930 the fishes ‘dry process (with salt) was
and made by Japanese, even though this was introduce by Greeks. Till the 70’s there were more than 20
drying and canning industries.
Some of these olds factories were remodeled and today are beautiful inns.
....Nowadays, the people are suffering great economic damages because big fishing boats are predating the area.